* Mrs Lizin is Honorary Speaker of the Senate of the Kingdom of Belgium. She was member of the Belgian Government (1988-1992) with the responsibilities of European Affairs. She’s now Quaestor of the Senate (since July 2007).
* She was Chairperson of the Foreign Relations and Defence Committee of the Belgian Senate (2003 to 2004), where she led numerous missions of high value in Syria, Algeria, USA and Russia.
* When Member of the House of Representatives, she was the founder of the Investigation Commission into trafficking in human beings (1992 to 1995).
* She began her carrier as Elected Member of the European Parliament (1979 to 1988), focussing on Women’s Rights, Human Rights and evolution of URSS.
Management and field experience
* After her mandate as Speaker of the Belgian Senate, Mrs Lizin assumes the managerial function in the Senate as Quaestor with 385 civil servants, high qualified staff in judicial system, and practical aspect of functioning of the most important assembly of the country.
* From 1989 to 2001, she was manager of a public hospital with 870 employees.
* Head of Cabinet of the Belgian Commissioner in charge of energy and taxation in the European Commission (1973 to 1977). The first European system for the monitoring of steel production in Europe was organised by my staff during the 1976 steel crisis.
* She develops experience in projects for on-the-spot humanitarian aid and health care in Kosovo, Senegal, Benin (building hospitals, co-ordinating experts, management training).
* Anne-Marie Lizin is Professor at the Institut d’Etudes Politiques (Political science) in Paris for international organisations major in international relations (2005 to the present).
* She was visiting professor at the University of Liège in European economic relations (1995 to 2002).
* She was also Member of the Board of the UN University in Turin (1998 to 2002).
* She’s Honour Professor of the Eurasian University of Astana.
* She is honour professor at the economic University of Baku (Azerbaidjan).
International missions since 2009
After a heavy heart surgery, Mrs Lizin has started actions on women at international level.
* She’s member of this assembly since 1992, and she became Vice-President of the OSCE in 2007.
* Mrs Lizin was in charge in OSCE/PA of 15 monitoring missions in eastern countries, e.g. Kosovo, Russia, Serbia and even Algeria.
* South Caucase:
She had a special mandate for Armenia, where she led the OSCE mission for the Presidential elections in 2008, leading also delegation of Council of Europe and European Parliament delegation.
* She followed immediately the monitoring of elections in Georgia, and Belarus, where she assumed the final statement.
* She developed special relations in Azerbaïdjan, especially on the situation of women.
* Elected Special Representative on Guantanamo since February 2005 and member of the Working Group on Moldova. She has been confronted with the most difficult situations in the world.
* As President of the Belgian Senate, Anne-Marie LIZIN initiates relations and organizes conferences with the Russian Douma on parliamentary role in the antiterrorism’s legislative process.
* Mrs Lizin is involved in Women’s Rights since 1975, where she was part of the European delegation in Mexico for the first Women’s Year and she’s the redactor of most of the Belgian laws about Genders Equality, parity, violence against women, anorexia, etc.). She was the founder of the Equality Commission of the European Parliament in 1980.
* She’s President of the Women's Council (1995 till 2003)
* She is the honorary president of the women of wallonia, that she chaired from 2003 to 2008), and is actually the coordinator of the association against honour crimes and forced marriages , based in paris HOCRINT, inside the LDIF.
* Head of the Belgian NGO “Terres des Femmes” which draws up projects for women in Algeria and Afghanistan (1995 to 2005).
* President of the Organization of International Socialist Women (1993 to 1997).
* Member of the Board of the I.C.M.E.C. (International Center for missing and exploited Children – Washington) (1993 to the present).
* Representative of the European Commission at the Mexico Conference for the Year of the Woman (1975).
* Representative of the Belgian government at the Nairobi Conference (1985).
* Representative of the Belgian government at the Peking Conference (1995).
* Representative of the Belgian government at the New York Conference Peking + 5 (2000).
* Member of the board of mrs Mubarak movement women for peace, from 2004 to now)
* President of the Foundation/Future/Yemen, Belgian branch, to help Yemenite women and specially girls in their school possibilities
* Human Rights is an important topic of Mrs Lizin’s career.
* She is now from 2005 to 2008, rapporteur on the Jail of Guantanamo for the OSCE Parliamentary Assembly. She focused on the closure of the jail with practical missions in all European capitals to help the detainees to have transferring.
* She has been elected three times as Independent expert to the UN Human Rights Commission and Extreme Poverty (from 1998 to 2004), where she delivered 6 annual reports on the poorest countries in the world. She has also been associated with the determination of the M.D.G. (Millennium Development Goal) in 2000.
* She was President of the Volunteer Fund for Technical aid for human rights, Geneva, for the HCHR. (1995 to 1999).
* As an Elected Member of the European Parliament (in1979 to 1988). Mrs Lizin has been active in writing many reports and missions to create the European competence in human rights.